Bega Valley Shire CouncilBega Valley Shire Council

Animals and Livestock


NSW Goverment logo.Assistance with animal welfare issues for bushfire affected landholders

The NSW Department of Primary Industries (DPI) and Local Land Services (LLS) are providing assistance to landholders and communities with animal welfare-related issues resulting from bushfires, including:

  • Emergency fodder (up to three days supply)
  • Emergency stock water (where there is a immediate animal welfare concern)
  • Ainimal assessment and veterinary assistance
  • Stock euthanasia and burial
  • Livestock feeding and management advice
  • Care of animals in evacuation centres

1800 814 647

Producers should call the hotline to report damage and stock losses, as well as request assistance with:

  • Emergency fodder
  • Emergency stock water
  • Veterinary assistance
  • Stock destruction & burial
  • Livestock feeding
  • management advice

Please be aware that we are currently working through a very large number of requests.

For concerns about pets, companion animals and wildlife please also contact 1800 814 647.

What to do after a fire:

  • Assess your livestock (take photos where possible). Contact the hotline to register for assistance if you need a vet, otherwise work with your local private vet
  • Continue to monitor your stock for burns; especially hooves and respiratory issues, these issues can take several days to appear
  • Monitor impacts from sudden changes in feed
  • Monitor and assess your water quality and access; check pipes and pumps for damage
  • Assess your infrastructure, including fencing
  • Ensure stock have ongoing access to good quality feed

Emergency Fodder:

AASFA, supported by Local Land Services and NSW DPI staff, provides Emergency Fodder Assistance to bushfire affected landholders for short-term relief, usually up to three days, to enable landholders to make alternative arrangements for livestock feed.

Fodder is in limited supply due to the ongoing drought. Where supplies are limited, distribution will be on a priority basis and be as fair and equitable as possible.

Please call the Agriculture and Animal Services Hotline on 1800 814 647 to register first before arrival at distribution points to ensure fodder is available onsite.

Once your request is registered, staff will discuss your individual circumstances before directing you to the fodder distribution point.

Emergency water supplies:

If you need emergency water supplies for livestock, call the Agriculture and Animal Services hotline on 1800 814 647.

Assisting you to ensure the survival and welfare of animals is our priority.

The fire response will provide water to manage immediate animal welfare issues. We are continuing to contact landholders who have requested water to assess their needs - and water is being delivered to those in dire need now.

Prioritisation of emergency water provision will include:

  • significance of impact on animal welfare
  • significance of impact on other agricultural activities

Assistance for minor/temporary repairs to infrastructure to enable water supply is also available.

We understand it’s hard for you as well as your stock

For information on personal hardship and distress assistance, contact the Disaster Welfare Assistance Line on 1800 018 444 from 8.30am to 4.30pm Monday to Friday.

To apply for a concessional loan, grant or freight subsidy, contact the NSW Rural Assistance

Authority on 1800 678 593 or visit

Further information on disaster assistance is at au and the NSW emergency information and response website at www.emergency.

If you or someone you know needs extra support, the Mental Health Line is a 24-hour telephone service operating seven days a week across NSW: 1800 011 511


Related Pages

Rate This Page

Share This Page

Explore Our Site