Bega Valley Shire CouncilBega Valley Shire Council

Owner building information

Before building starts

If you are an owner-builder and the value of any residential work exceeds $5,000, a copy of an owner-builder permit must be submitted to the Principal Certifying Authority prior to the start of building work, whether this is under a Complying Development Certificate, a Construction Certificate or a combined application.

Where owner-builder work is proposed and the value of the proposed work is over $12,000, you must have completed an approved owner-builder course, or have equivalent qualifications. Evidence that an application has been lodged is required before NSW Fair Trading will issue an Owner-Builder permit.

Comprehensive information from NSW Fair Trading

Did you know that an owner-builder takes on all the risks and responsibilities of a registered building practitioner? Before you decide to do it yourself go to the NSW Fair Trading website, which provides comprehensive information about becoming an owner builder including:

Rate This Page

Share This Page

Explore Our Site